Monday, March 29, 2010

Inspiration

What inspires you? Is it a quotation by some wise statesman? Maybe a song? Perhaps the encouragement of a friend or the words of a pastor? The literal meaning of inspiration is to take in, as in the act of breathing in. To me this definition infers action. Prior to today, I don't think I've ever consciously considered the meaning of inspiration. I never stopped to wonder why some of my friends almost constantly post inspirational quotes as their status on Facebook; in fact, I sometimes viewed it as a lack of creativity. Today, I am taking the time to think about inspiration. What or who inspires me? Hmm......... This morning, I find myself inspired by a friend. A friend who, despite enormous responsibilities at home, finds the time to press on toward her dream. I am also inspired by the bright flower blossoms standing strong in the cold breeze this morning. They know the warmth of spring is just around the corner, and they stretch their petals toward the sun, as if reaching for it. I am inspired by the empty tomb in Jerusalem, and the promise of life beyond this one. I am inspired by the youthful joy of my children, and the unfailing love of my wife. I am inspired by the selfless service of my little sister, and her love for a people so different from her own. I also realize, that these things were all there yesterday, but it was only after I stopped and "took them in" that they became meaningful to me. Yes, I think inspiration is a verb in every sense. Whether you seek it, or provide it, or ignore it, is up to you, but inspiration is all around you. All you have to do is just breathe it in.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful and I am proud to say you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one of your faithful stalkers, Great writing J.R. I really look forward to meeting you in person someday. Your writing gives me a sense of peace. Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete